In 1867, a small coal, lumber and hardware business, under the name of Cochrane Lumber Company, was opened at 305 York Road, Towson, Maryland. This business flourished under various names until 1911, when Mr. Stebbins and Mr. Anderson purchased the company and incorporated it under the name of Stebbins Anderson Coal and Lumber Co., Inc.
In 1926, it was bought by the Enterprise Fuel Co. and the name was shortened to Stebbins-Anderson Co., Inc. Mr. J.W. Edelen, who with Mr. J. Harry West, founder of the Enterprise Fuel Co. in 1900, assumed the presidency and operated the business until his death in 1953.
From 1926 to 1977, the company continued to grow through the addition to complete departments such as housewares, unfinished furniture, fuel oil, paint and wall paper, sporting goods and garden supplies, thus making it the most complete lumber and hardware company in the area.
In 1978, Stebbins Anderson became an anchor store at the new mall in Towson called The Shops at Kenilworth. In 1979, Stebbins Anderson was purchased by Mr. Richard Powers, who operated the business until his death in 2013. The company was subsequently sold to Ken and Bonnie Knight in 2015.
In 2016, Stebbins Anderson relocated in The Shops at Kenilworth to its current newly renovated store, featuring patio furniture, interior furniture, housewares, Benjamin Moore paint and gifts for all occasions. Stebbins Anderson has also added "Stebbins for Her". This boutique, shop in shop, offers a wide selection of ladies handbags, jewelry and gifts.